Saturday, June 20, 2009

Welcome to L'Aesthétique Noire!


Aesthétique - (French) The philosophy of beauty


Noire - (French) Black


Welcome to L'Aesthétique Noire! 


Black is Beautiful!




L'Aesthétique Noire

What is the Black Aesthetic of the 21st Century? I am interested in having an ongoing conversation about who we are. When I say, "we", I mean the inclusive "we" of the the African Diaspora, but in particular the United States. I believe that we become that which we value, therefore, this forum asks one of the most fundamental questions, "Why?"

Why do we value what we do? What do those values mean for how we define our existence in the world?

This blog will challenge you to be introspective, to learn about yourself and others. This is about love, history, art, fashion, pain, literature, freedom, prose, peace, war, music, and happiness. Most of all, this is about you discovering you all over again. 

This is L'Aesthétique Noire!

Influence
I am fascinated by the African American ex-patriates who developed and explored their art while in Paris. Although, french is indeed a colonial tongue to the African, I believe that some of the most brilliant artists, scholars, and thinkers of the 20th Century wrote in French as well as English. (Cheikh Ante Diop, Frantz Fanon, etc.)

Don't be afraid to tell me what you think. Challenge what you read with a comment! 

Do you think art should play a role in how we define ourselves in the 21st century? Why or why not?





Réveiller et Vivre !

Ceci est L'Aesthétique Noire!


6 comments:

  1. I'm strapped in and ready to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^
    Thanks. It will be a smooth ride!

    I didn't want to say anything initially, but I think Art (all kinds) definitely should play an instrumental role in how we define ourselves. Otherwise, we become puppets that say and do what other people want us to do. Will we be the generation that reinvents ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this! even though ive always been a firm believer that the "present" generation is always 3 different people, Closed minded, Open Minded, and Media Minded. Reinvention of our people? idk kiddo, of course it could always happen. but the odds look slim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with the belief that it is essential that Art of all kinds play a significant role in how we define ourselves. I am unsure of the reinvention of ourselves. It is my belief that we are always defining who we are. Art has a way of speaking to those who are willing to listen. The question lies in whether we are willing to recognize art and understand that our own creative juices are flowing and should prevail rather than someone dictating to us who we are. I feel that life is about defining yourself rather than letting others define you. It appears that those individuals that traveled to France to discover their art in Paris were able to do it because the society there had a different view of writers. I found it fascinating when the gentleman stated that art is associated with success in America in comparison to France. The writers are viewed differently in France than America. In turn, this has a direct influence on the writers. If one is encouraged to write, his or her mind is free to explore various avenues of thoughts and ideas without pressure of being a top seller. It is my belief that Paris allowed our Black writers to be free and to live in their thoughts rather than the American dream of writing to live while also trying to set one's mind free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree with you Sheek. I think one of the defining aspects of African history in the Diaspora, and in America in particular, is the desire for not merely, physical freedom, but mental and spiritual emancipation. I ask about re-invention in the sense that you described so well. Are we in a perpetual state of redefining ourselves en masse? I don't know. I think at times we become very content with having a notable few instead of a mighty many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m intensely and incredibly intrigued by the open communication and knowledge that I’m sure will come from this...
    I'm sure this will prove to be an enlightening experience...enlightening indeed...

    ReplyDelete