Sunday, January 31, 2010

L'Aesthétique: Looking Inward

The application of knowledge is wisdom.

At times, I trick myself into believing that growth and becoming wise can happen instantaneously. Or, that my desire to achieve "success" will force me to develop at a faster rate than what is natural for me.

My environment and my experiences have given me a sense of urgency that while beneficial at certain points in my life, has also caused a great deal of anxiety and stress. I always wished there was some wand I could wave or have magic words to say that would change the way I felt.

Last night, there was.

They were magic words in the sense that they were perfectly timed and unlocked a room in my mind. "You'll make mistakes and that is ok. You're human. You're young."

Previously, I had spent so much time analyzing and feeling mournful over missed opportunities that I could not see the ones in front of me or harness my own energy and potential.

No more.

Today I quote Emerson.

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

In 2010, I want to make meaning in whatever small ways I can and let things come as they may. I need to start having fun my way.

The List

Photography - I'll use my new cameras* to do some special projects including but not limited to: A Family Photo Album and a Brooklyn Tribute
















Props to one of my inspirations Jamel Shabazz.



Writing - A chapbook perhaps? I used to be a poet *shrug

Collaborative Projects.

I think black folks are beautiful, and I want all of us to think so too.











I don't have all the answers about how to get there just yet, but I'm okay with that.

How will you contribute to the Black Aesthetic in the new millennium?



Peace!

4 comments:

  1. Chapbook! Memories, for real. I've gotta get back to writing everyday myself. Not gonna call it a "New Year's Resolution", mostly b/c I never come through on those anyway.

    Good stuff though. Keep the camera but lose the shorts (points @ pic).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growth need not be rapid or revolutionary. In many cases it must be gradual to be fully understood and traslated into wisdom. Take this one day at a time and accept all the ups and downs that come with each day, growing in the process. Much success will everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nak, I really enjoyed this entry as I think that most people can relate to it. It's important to press on and leave the past where it belongs-- in the past. I plan to contribute to the Black Aesthetique by shedding my chemically processed hair and exchanging it for something truly beautiful and genuine: my 100% natural hair.. no chemicals, dyes or European silky weave included. Thanks for the support! And keep the entries coming! Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I, too recently have been struggling with missed opportunities and moments. Well put :)

    ReplyDelete