Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro

July Fourth has always had many meanings for me. It evokes memories of barbecues, reggae music, firecrackers and sparklers, and family. It conjures up memories of being on my father's shoulders at the African Street Festival, (now the International African Arts Festival) and seeing beautiful black folks selling their wares to the sound of jembe drums.

The red, white, and blue flags were entirely alien to my experience. I didn't connect July 4th to celebrating a nation that endorsed the Gulf War. I didn't see myself smiling with the cherry cheeked children in front of Macy's. Young as I was, I knew intuitively that we were not celebrating the same things.

I reflect on all these experiences today and ask Frederick Douglass' question again. What is the meaning of July 4th to the Negro?

Does it mean something different now that we have an African American president? Is the holiday somehow more meaningful in what some call a "post-racial" America?

Interesting that we are at war in the Gulf again...and the Gulf of Mexico.

3 comments:

  1. I love the quotations that flank post-racial. I often wonder if after the Civil Rights Act of '64 did society start throwing around stupid phrases such as "post-racial"...it simply doesn't exist now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fact is that july fourth has turned into nothing more that the true beginning of summer. school's out, the weather is finally warm, everyone has a day off and goddammit we are going to party. nothing is said of the existence, struggle for or very idea of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not enough people have the insight to question the traditions we celebrate...great post!

    ReplyDelete